Friday, November 2, 2007

Child Response Paper

Never have I meet a person so enthusiastic and knowledgeable about children's literature, as my professor, Dr. Sipe. I'm positive there isn't a children's book or author/illustrator he isn't aware of. There has been many instances were someone brings up a particular book, and he'll immediate identify and/or comment on the plot or the character. Its amazing! It makes me feel bad, because my memory is not that good. Dr. Sipe is the professor of my Adolescent Literature's class, were we discuss all types of children's literature from young adult fiction and picturebooks, and the many genres such as, historical fiction and realistic fiction. We have explored topics and parts of children's books, that I previously overlooked or took for granted, such as the illustrations on the inside of the book's over (at the beginning at end). Many times the illustrations and colors used, give a insight on the mood or the plot of the story. It is a great way to ask kids for their predictions of the story. We have an assignment coming up called, the Child Response paper.We are to read a couple of books to one child, or the same book to several different children. We are to note children's verbal and non verbal responses to the book, their questions etc. I am excited about completing this assignment, as this class has provided me with a newly informed perspective on children's literature.
Take a look at Dr. Sipes website at: http://www.gse.upenn.edu/~lsipe


No comments: