Monday, February 11, 2008

EDUC Psychology of the African-American

My EDUC 522 Psychology of the African American was probably the most highly anticipated courses I’ve ever taken. Dr. Stevenson, the professor of the course is a cool dude. He is very serious, knowledgeable, passionate, and something like a comedian. Some of the articles and readings are so refreshing, inspiring and especially informative. Some of the topics included in the classroom conversations and articles were: stereotypes and racism, the source of the anger and aggression in Black boys, white privilege, and heinous acts of violence towards Black people like lynching (Emmett Till). The readings and the classroom conversations inspired me to brush up on classic African-American films. So when I was at the library, I borrowed the Color Purple DVD . Watching the movie, it occurred to me how it was very reminiscent of the readings and conversations of the class. Things such as, the unfair treatment of Blacks, the lack of certain amenities such as running water, the unique language and likeness of Black culture. Something of the things made me smile with proud and affirmation and others that filled me with sorrow, frustration, and fuel for my life’s passion and purpose.

No comments: